Monday, February 13, 2012

Last Thursday, February 9, I received a stem cell treatment on my knees. It was an exciting day for me. Stem cell therapy is a promising treatment, especially for severely damaged joints, tendons, muscles, etc. It took about two hours from start to finish. To sum up briefly, my doctor, Dr. Shiple, took some blood from my arm and bone marrow from my iliac crest (top of hip bone). The bone marrow and blood was placed into a machine, stem cells and platelets extracted. With guidance from ultrasound, Dr.Shiple placed the stem cells into my damaged knees and the platelets into some not as severe injuries. I was sent home to bed rest for the first 24 hours. It was a long night, which I could not sleep because of a deep throbbing pain. I am feeling much better today, just very sore. I have faith this treatment will work. Time is on my side, and I am doing everything possible that will aid in my recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Does sound promising. My dad has joint pain on his knee, I should suggest this to him.

    ReplyDelete